About Me

My photo
Antioch, California, United States
John is the under-shepherd of Agape International Church & Ministries Inc, Antioch, California and the President of Agape International Ministries Foundation, Inc (www.agapebfm.net) John has been a Preacher, Bible Teacher, Counselor and a mission-minded servant of God from 1984 till the present time. Married to Alice since 1987, he enjoys being a father to 2 sons and 1 daughter. He is available to preach, participate in evangelistic crusades and revivals, lead or participate in a Marriage Enrichment program internationally. John preaches on a weekly radio broadcast called "KNOW THE TRUTH" (Based on John 8:32)and the broadcast is aired every Sunday at Radio KDIA 1640AM. The broadcast is also accessible through the website of the radio station: www.kdia.com. You can follow him on twitter @agapebfm

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Let’s Talk About Following Jesus

Let’s Talk About Following Jesus

Memory Verse: Matthew 11:29 (NIV) 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

Text: Matthew 11:28–30;28:18-19
  
 
Introduction: Mark 1:15 

 “The lack of discipleship undermines all else that we seek to do.” (Alan Hirsch)


 Ultimately, each church will be evaluated by only one thing – its disciples.” (Neil Cole)


  

1.      We must realize that we are learners under Jesus Christ
Matthew 11:29, John 13:15;  1 Peter 2:21;  1 John 2:6;  Acts 1:21–22;  1 Timothy 3:6,  John 10:14 , 27;  Acts 4:13  


Greek word manthanō  "learn"





2.      Christians are to model what they have learned from Jesus to others.
 1 Corinthians 11:1; 4:16; Hebrews 6:12; Philippians 3:17;1 Corinthians 8:1; Matthew 11:28–30; James 1:22; 1 Corinthians 11:1


discipleship is something that is caught more than it is taught.”--Alex Absalom and Greg Nettle


“The primary criterion for becoming one of the 12 was a willingness to follow Christ – to walk with Him and to choose to become like Him.”-- John Wimber



“The one indispensable requirement for producing godly, mature Christians is godly, mature Christians.” Kevin DeYoung



“Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand.” Chinese Proverb



3.      We must hear and obey Jesus
John 8:31

 “It is a great thing, this reading of the Scriptures!” (Chrysostom, 347 – 407AD)



4.      We must reproduce ourselves
John 20:21; Luke 6:40

“Only a disciple can make a disciple.” A.W. Tozer


“Christianity without discipleship is always Christianity without Christ.” Dietrich Bonhoeffer

  

5.      We must be accountable
  Romans 14:12; Proverbs 27:17;

 “A body of men holding themselves accountable to nobody ought not to be trusted by anybody.” (Thomas Paine)
  
“A brotherly person rejoices on my account when he approves me, but when he disapproves, he is loving me. To such people I will reveal myself.” (Augustine 354 – 430AD)