About Me

My photo
Antioch, California, United States
John is the under-shepherd of Agape International Church & Ministries Inc, Antioch, California and the President of Agape International Ministries Foundation, Inc (www.agapebfm.net) John has been a Preacher, Bible Teacher, Counselor and a mission-minded servant of God from 1984 till the present time. Married to Alice since 1987, he enjoys being a father to 2 sons and 1 daughter. He is available to preach, participate in evangelistic crusades and revivals, lead or participate in a Marriage Enrichment program internationally. John preaches on a weekly radio broadcast called "KNOW THE TRUTH" (Based on John 8:32)and the broadcast is aired every Sunday at Radio KDIA 1640AM. The broadcast is also accessible through the website of the radio station: www.kdia.com. You can follow him on twitter @agapebfm

Sunday, May 25, 2014

HOW TO KEEP OUR EYES ON THE HEAVENLY THINGS-sermon 2

Heaven is For Real
HOW TO KEEP OUR EYES ON THE HEAVENLY THINGS

Memory Verse: Colossians 3:2 (NKJV) Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.

TEXT: Colossians 3:1–4


INTRODUCTION: Colossians 3:1–4; Psalm 77:1–14; Eph. 3:20, John 16:33; Matt. 26:39; Psalm 23:4

Illustration: Personal Story

“Faith is not so much receiving from God what we want but accepting from God what He gives.”-- Adrian Rogers

“He who has a why to live can bear almost any how.”Adrian Rogers

  “Be prepared for God to allow things in your life that give the opportunity to demonstrate your faith in Him.” -- Henry Blackaby



1.    Be in Regular Prayer:  
Proverbs 18:10;1 Thessalonians 5:17; Philippians 4:6; Psalm 10:1; 86:7
Illustration:
 “When everybodys freaking out, they all look to Dad—especially when Dad is a pastor. Now I was finally in a room where no one was looking at me, and I began raging at God.  ‘Where are you? Is this how you treat your pastors?! Is it even worth it to serve you?’… At that time when I was so upset and outraged, can you believe that God chose to answer that prayer?...What had I learned?  I was reminded yet again that I could be real with God…I learned that I didnt have to offer some kind of churchy, holy-sounding prayer in order to be heard in heaven. Most importantly of all, I learned that I am heard. We all are.” – Todd Burpo



2.    Be Sustained and Strengthened by Gods Word:
Psalm 119:105; Deuteronomy 8:3; Proverbs 7:1–3
Cf. Matt. 4:4, Luke 4:4



3.    We must Embrace the Attitude of Worship:
2 Chronicles 20:14–15; Romans 8:31



4.    Rely on the Support of the Holy Spirit: 
John 16:7; Romans 8:26–27; Philippians 1:19





5.    Be Nurtured by Your Church: 
Galatians 6:2; Phil. 2:4; Job 2:10; 13:15; 42:12


“No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;  ….  any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind…”-- John Donne (1572-1631)


Illustration:
 “Pastors are supposed to be unshakable pillars of faith, right? But at that moment, my faith was hanging on by a tattered thread and fraying fast…At that moment, I needed to borrow the strength and faith of some other believers.” -- Todd Burpo


 “Our church gathering around us in the eye of the storm would change the way Sonja and I approached pastoral visitation in times of trial and grief.  We were faithful about it before; now were militant.”--Todd Burpo


ILLUSTRATION:

 “Despite her blindness, Crosby did not spend her life in bitterness and defeat but instead dedicated her life to Christ.”-- Billy Graham
“It seemed intended by the blessed providence of God that I should be blind all my life and thank him for the dispensation. If perfect earthly sight were offered me tomorrow, I would not accept it.  I might not have sung hymns to the praise of God if I had been distracted by the beautiful and interesting things around me.”—Fanny Crosby


CONCLUSION: Rom. 8:28; 2Corinthians 12:10; Isaiah 55:8–9; Philippians 4:13