- Dr. John Ojewole
- Antioch, California, United States
- John is the under-shepherd of Agape International Church & Ministries Inc, Antioch, California and the President of Agape International Ministries Foundation, Inc (www.agapebfm.net) John has been a Preacher, Bible Teacher, Counselor and a mission-minded servant of God from 1984 till the present time. Married to Alice since 1987, he enjoys being a father to 2 sons and 1 daughter. He is available to preach, participate in evangelistic crusades and revivals, lead or participate in a Marriage Enrichment program internationally. John preaches on a weekly radio broadcast called "KNOW THE TRUTH" (Based on John 8:32)and the broadcast is aired every Sunday at Radio KDIA 1640AM. The broadcast is also accessible through the website of the radio station: www.kdia.com. You can follow him on twitter @agapebfm
Sunday, January 26, 2014
Are We Willing to Follow?
Are We Willing to Follow?
Memory Verse: Matthew 16:24 (NKJV) 24 Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.
TEXT: Luke 14:25-35
Matthew 5:13–14; Romans 5:1; Philippians 2:12; 1 John 3:2
“When it comes to morality and lifestyle issues, there is little difference between the behavior … of Christians and non-Christians.” -- Jim Putnam, Bobby Harrington, and Robert Coleman, DiscipleShift.
“… the local church which I’ve been the pastor of for more than three decades was not doing as well as we thought when it came to spiritual growth.”-- Bill Hybels from REVEAL
“Cheap grace is the grace we bestow on ourselves. Cheap grace is the preaching of forgiveness without requiring repentance, baptism without church discipline, Communion without confession.... Cheap grace is grace without discipleship, grace without the cross, grace without Jesus Christ, living and incarnate.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship
1. We must Prioritize our Love
Luke 14:25–26; Matthew 10:37
2. We must be Passionate about our Identity with Christ.
Luke 14:27; 9:23
“When Christ calls a man, he bids him come and die.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship
“Salvation is free, but discipleship will cost you your life.”-- Dietrich Bonhoeffer
“There is always an “if” in connection with discipleship, and it implies that we need not [be disciples] unless we like. There is never any compulsion; Jesus does not coerce us. There is only one way of being a disciple, and that is by being devoted to Jesus.”—Oswald Chambers
3. We must realize that Discipleship is a Permanent Commitment to Jesus Christ
Luke 14:28–32; 9:62
4. We must Give Jesus His Rightful Place in our lives.
Luke 14:33; Matthew 6:24,33
“The first call which every Christian experiences is the call to abandon the attachments of this world.” The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
CONCLUSION: 1 Corinthians 11:1; Philippians 2:5; John 13:15